It’s week 4 in my 12 week series of The Summer of Salads. The past couple of days have been scorching hot outside, but I know that doesn’t stop some people from eating fried foods lol. So, I decided to create a healthier version of a Buffalo Fried Chicken Salad except it’s oven fried and seasoned with chipolte pepper instead of marinated and dipped in hot sauce which is high in sodium. I created an avocado ranch dressing and a honey mustard dressing to choose from. The recipe can be found below. Enjoy!
FAFF Nutrition Fact: According to organicfacts.net, chipolte pepper aids in heart health, helps manages type 2 diabetes, and helps lower blood pressure along with a list of other health benefits.
Featured: Buffalo Oven Fried Chicken Salad with Avocado Ranch or Honey Mustard Dressing
• 3 cups of romaine lettuce
• 1-3 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (A pinch of kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle pepper, and paprika on each side. Season to taste.)
• 1 roma tomato chopped
• 8 slices of english cucumbers
• 1 tsp of finely shredded sharp or mild cheddar
• 2 medium eggs
• 1/4 cup of plain panko bread crumbs
• Olive oil cooking spray
Avocado Ranch Dressing ingredients:
• 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing Mix
• 1 cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt
• 1/2 of a small avocado
• 1-1/2 tbsp of unsweetened almond milk
Honey Mustard Dressing Ingredients:
• 1 1/2 cup of Kraft Reduced Fat Olive Oil Mayo
• 1 1/2 tbsp of honey
• 1 tbsp of yellow mustard
• 1/4 tbsp of white wine vinegar
• 1/4 tsp of a freshly squeezed lemon
• A pinch of kosher salt
•In a bowl, mix the salad dressing ingredients. Mash the avocado in the dressing. Stir well. Refrigerate for 30 mins. Season to taste.
• Boil one egg over high heat for 7-8 mins. Rinse over cold water. Let it cool down. Peel and set aside.
• Pound the chicken breast to a medium consistency for even cooking. Season to taste (see seasonings above)
• In two separate bowls, stir in one egg. In the other bowl, pour in your panko bread crumbs
• Dip your chicken breast into the egg mixture on both sides. Let the excess egg drip from the chicken.
• Next, dip your chicken into the bread crumbs on both sides. Make sure it’s evenly coated on both sides.
• Line a cookie sheet or pan with aluminum foil and spray it lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Place the chicken breast into the pan or onto the sheet.
• Turn on the oven to 400°degrees. Cook the chicken for 7-8 mins on each side or until done. Place the chicken under the broiler for 30 seconds if you desire a browner consistency. Cut the breasts into strips while hot. Set aside.
• Pile your lettuce upon your plate.
• Place your tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, and egg over the lettuce.
• Top with the sliced oven fried chicken breast
• Drizzle with avocado ranch or honey mustard dressing.